Diagnosis of FASD
There is no specific medical test for the FASD conditions. Diagnosis relies on:
- Recognising the pattern of features
- Ruling out other possible medical causes
- Questioning the mother on her alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
Treatment of FASD
There is no cure for FASD. Treatment is available for the child, including special education programs and behaviour modification therapy.
Where to get help
- Your doctor
- Monash Medical Centre, Monash Drug Information Service Tel. (03) 9594 2361
- Australian National Organisation for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Related Disorders (NOFASARD) Tel. 0418 854 947
- DrugInfo Tel. 1300 85 85 84 - for information
- DirectLine Tel. 1800 888 236 – for counselling and referral
(extract taken from The Better Health Channel Website)