Liz McDonald Counselling Service - Mental Health Social Worker/ Psychotherapist-Hypnotherapist
RSS

Recent Posts

The Women's Movement: What it is to be a Feminist and Why we all need to know the history of Women's Rights
Alcohol & teen parties
Underage Drinking parties with parental consent
Diagnosis & Support
Father's role in alcohol as a risk at conception

Categories

Alcohol and Under Aged Drinking Laws
Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
Human Rights
powered by

My Blog

FASD Support

Although Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder (FASD) cannot be cured there are some things that can be done to reduce the severity of problems associated with it.
Behaviour Therapy's

Social Skills Development
Often children with FASD struggle with socialising with their peers. Play and general social rules do not always develop as they are expected to.
Social Skills Development teachers children how to interact with their peers. How to behave in group situations, and how to understand sutble rules within public situations such as school, play group, sports etc.
Special one on one tuturing or aide support
Often children with FASD will be identified as having a learning disability. One on one support can help these children absorb the information they require to function at school. Many of these children require combination visual and hands on learning to take in and retain information that their peers appear to take on easily within a normal classroom environment. To obtain such support a child will require a cognitive assessment via a clinical psychologist/ educational psychologist. If a learning disability is identified then the child may qualify for funding assisstance to have an intergration aide allocated for a number of school hours per week.
Executive Function Training
This type of training is specific therapy to help to develop insight, judgement and and understanding about consiquential behaviour. For a child with FASD this is very important as there is often frontal lobe limitations that reduce insight, judgement and increase risk taking behaviour throughout the full lifespan.
Executive Function Training focuses on teaching problem solving skills, memory, reasoning, assertiveness, insight and cause and effect.
Family Therapy and Parenting Development
Focus is in building parenting insight and parenting skills to improve parent/child relationships as well as coping techniques around behaviour managment. This can include parent therapy, family therapy, psycho-education and parenting programs.

9 Comments to FASD Support :

Comments RSS
responsible alcohol sydney on Wednesday, 23 January 2013 5:39 PM
I am pleased to read your post. I was searching for the related topic you discussed in there. Good job. All the best.
Reply to comment

qld rsa online on Thursday, 21 February 2013 7:43 PM
Thank you so much for sharing FASD Support with us. I would like to have more updates from you. I would like to get more updates from you.
Reply to comment

uk dissertation on Tuesday, 5 March 2013 12:55 PM
Funding assisstance to have an intergration aide allocated for a number of school hours per week.
Reply to comment

Malaysia Holiday on Wednesday, 10 April 2013 7:46 PM
Nice post.Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! I've been looking for books of this nature for a way too long. I'm just glad that I found yours. Looking forward for your next post. Thanks
Reply to comment

123 paper writing service on Monday, 20 May 2013 6:59 PM
Reply to comment

Lipozene on Friday, 20 September 2013 5:35 PM
It’s amazing how interesting it is for me to visit you very often.
Reply to comment

Lipozene on Friday, 20 September 2013 5:35 PM
Always has really good posts and topics please keep it up! loads of blogs are going under lately from lack of new posts etc
Reply to comment

Lipozene on Saturday, 5 October 2013 9:47 PM
I am going to subscribe, so I can learn more. I can't wait to receive updates through e-mail.
Reply to comment

Online RSA Northern Territory on Wednesday, 23 April 2014 7:00 PM
I never read before about this type of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Disorder but reading your post I got new information but in little amount, would you please share more.
Reply to comment